As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips for Flying with Kids – we have some tips and tricks for making traveling with children by air a little easier, including how to keep them entertained!
If you are looking for a secret or tip that will completely change the way you travel with your kids, you’re in luck!
Tips for Flying with Kids
We have taken the kids with us on many long-distance trips, many of which have involved going to distant destinations on long flights such as our trip to Hawaii. From booking to your in-flight experience, I have gathered my best tips in one place for how to fly with kids without losing your mind.
Before You Go
Before you leave for your trip, there are a few things you can do ahead of time to ensure that your in-flight in experience and airport experience are going to be better. These have seriously saved my butt on many flights, especially the long ones!
- Make Sure You Book Seats Together: Many flights will offer you tempting deals that can save you a ton of money on your trips. But many of these trade-offs could cause you to end up sitting far away from one another. Make sure that your seats are together with your children sitting either in the middle or in the window seat.
- Eat Before You Head to the Airport, If Possible: Getting picky eaters to choose something at an airport that’s not two concourses away is difficult. Avoid eating in airports if you can by merely eating before you have to go to the airport. This will give you more flexibility and help you save money.
- Pack Your Snack Essentials: Don’t wait until you get to the airport to realize there are no gluten-free snacks or Goldfish in any of the shops. Save your sanity and time by packing a Ziploc bag of your snack essentials for the kids.
When You’re in the Airport Terminals
If you do end up with a layover or need to make it to a connecting flight, there are a few things you can do to make this experience better when traveling with small kids.
- Choose Layovers Based On YOUR Kids: You know your kids and how they may behave at the airport. While some kids can happily keep up with you and make it to the next gate in under an hour, some won’t be able to do it. Know your kids and how long it will reasonably take them to get to each gate before you choose the flight with a 40-minute layover.
- Head to Your Gate First: This is extremely important, and crucial if you are traveling with multiple adults. Before you get food or anything else, get everyone to your gate. Once you’re settled there, you can send the other adult for food or take each child to the bathroom. This will ensure that no matter what, you are ready for your flight and at the proper gate.
Keeping Kids Entertained
Long flights can be particularly challenging. Here are some fun ideas to keep the kiddos busy (and you sane!)
- Travel Activities for Plane
- Best Airplane Travel Snacks for Kids
- Altoid Tin Craft Tic Tac Toe Travel Game
- How to Create an Eye Spy Bag
Make a LEGO Travel Set
This Boredom Buster solution is perfect for those who are on-the-go. Everyone loves LEGOS but they’re not usually considered Travel Toys. Make your own LEGO travel set for just a few dollars!
Keep the kids busy, and all their papers and crayons contained, with our custom travel clipboard. You’ll love how easy this is to make, and the kids will have a blast!
More Travel Tips
I hope you have found this list of the best tips helpful! Here are some other travel tips and tricks you might like:
- Plan Your Family Vacation Without Going Broke
- Road Trip Activities for Kids
- How to Travel with Children
Do you have any additional tips for flying with kids? If so, leave me a comment below with your ideas!