Road Trip Activities for Kids are a must, even for shorter trips. We’ve got a bunch of fun ideas, plus an awesome (and easy!) Road Trip Activity Clipboard project you can do to keep crayons and papers organized for your little travelers!
Road trips can be a blast, but they can go wrong really quickly. The best possible thing you can do is have a plan for the kids. There are lots of great road trip travel activities for kids out there and I’m going to share with you some of my favorites. These are items we’ve brought with us on both short and long trips. I think you’ll like them, too.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I am also an affiliate for other programs. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
What should I pack for a road trip with kids?
You are definitely going to want to download my Summer Road Trip Packing List. Basically, when it comes to kids and car trips, three things are a must:
- Food – bring snacks that are easy to eat in the car like granola bars and water bottles are a must.
- Comfort – travel pillows, blankets (yes, even when it’s hot out!) and stuffed animals are always a good idea.
- Fun – having a variety of things to keep the kids busy is really important. This activity clipboard is great, and I’ve got some other ideas for you also.
Be sure to check out my Amazon store for more of our favorite things to bring on a road trip.
Products from Amazon.com
What are fun things to take on a road trip?
Bring a variety of activities to keep the kids busy. Tablets are great, but if you’re like me, you want to minimize the screen time. Here are some great things to bring with you:
- Travel Games such as Battleship, Connect 4 and Monopoly Card Game are great not just for the car, but also rainy days in the hotel, too!
- Before you leave, Make a Custom LEGO Travel Set with your kids. This is a super fun project!!
- Ethan loves using this Travel Spirograph Playset in the car, and his creations easily slip into the gusseted pouch of the travel clipboard I’m going to show you how t o make later.
- We all have so much fun with Mad Libs in the car! The Star Wars one is our absolute favorite!
How do I entertain my kids on a long road trip?
There’s nothing worse than bored kids in a car, right? Don’t worry, we’ve got this. Here are some more great ideas for keeping them entertained.
- My daughter loves Sticker Books. The reusable ones are the best, in my opinion.
- Melissa and Doug have some great activities for kids and this is just one of them.
- Kids’ Audio Books – I highly recommend an Audible Membership as another way to keep your kiddos entertained.
- This National Geographic Ultimate Kids Road Trip was my son’s favorite book on our Niagara Falls Vacation last summer.
- This year, we purchased a Kids Travel Journal to take on our Acadia trip for Olivia because she loves to write.
Road Trip Activities for Kids Clipboard
Alright so let’s face it – road trips can get expensive quickly right? A bunch of new games and activities are fun for the kids but all those little purchases add up quickly. There are loads of printables online you can download for free that are perfect for keeping kids entertained. The downside is having a bunch of loose papers in the car, right? These clipboards are a cinch to make and will keep the kids busy for hours! Fill up our Road Trip Activity Clipboard with these awesome free Road Trip Printable Activities for starters. It’s got lots of fabulous printables including the license plate game, iSpy and more.
- Adhere the gusseted pouch to the back of your clipboard with glue.
- Then, add the hoop binder ring to the clipboard, then attach it to the 3 ring binder pouch.
- Allow the glue to dry.
- Next, add the colored pencils or crayons to the pouch.
- Slide these free Road Trip Printable Activities into the gusseted pouch.
It’s as easy as that! Pretty great, right? You can add other things to the pouch as well such as small toys or stickers.
You might also like these Travel Activities for the Car or a Plane ideas:
Take a look at these ideas and see if you want to add any of them to your road trip travel clipboard!
You Might Also Like:
Do you have a great road trip tip?
I’d love to hear from you so leave me a comment below!
Clipboard for Road Trip Activities
- 3 Ring Binder Pouch
- Hoop Binder Ring
- Crayons or Colored Pencils
- Gusseted Binder Pouch
- Use the glue to adhere the gusseted pouch to the back of your clipboard.
- Add the hoop binder ring to the clipboard, then attach it to the 3 ring binder pouch.
- Allow the glue to dry.
- Then, add the colored pencils or crayons to the pouch.
- Slip your free Road Trip Printable Activities into the gusseted pouch.
If you are traveling somewhere very warm, I suggest not leaving crayons in the car as they will melt.