Rocky Gorge, located outside Conway in the White Mountain National Forest is a wonderful spot along the Kancamagus Highway.
We visited Rocky Gorge during our recent glamping vacation. The Swift River carves out some beautiful spots here! There’s plenty of parking and quite a few benches scattered around. Visitors will also find a couple picnic tables as well. The path leads to a wooden bridge that spans the Swift River. The views from here are spectacular!
After taking in the beauty of the gorge itself, we continued down the path and found Falls Pond. The viewing area offers a shaded spot to sit and so we ate our picnic lunch here. Like all spots in the White Mountains National Forest, Rocky Gorge is a carry in/carry out park. You must take all your trash with you when you leave the park. Those with a NH Fishing License can try their luck at Falls Pond.
All About Rocky Gorge
- Directions: Located eight miles west of Conway on the Kancamagus Highway.
- Website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whitemountain/recarea/?recid=74967
- Open Season: Mid-May to Mid-October
- Lovequist Loop Hike: 1 mile (easy)
- Swimming in or jumping into the gorge is prohibited and is strictly enforced.
- Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
There are several hiking trails to choose from, the easiest being Lovequist Loop, which takes you around Falls Pond. Along the way, you’ll see and hear wildlife all around you. There a many species of plants and we were delighted to see a rare Lady Slipper alongside the path.
The other hiking trails accessible from Rocky Gorge are:
- Lower Nanamocomuck Ski Trail
- Paugus Link Trail
- Wenonah Trail
What to Pack for a Day in the New Hampshire Parks
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- Bug Spray
- Hats and Sun Glasses
- Water Bottles
- Wet Wipes
- Mini First Aid Kit
- Camera and Batteries
- Plastic Shopping Bag for Trash
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $10.79Was: $19.99
Price: Out of stock
White Mountain National Forest Highlights
We have traveled through the White Mountain National Forest quiet a bit over the years. Here are some of our adventures:
- The Mt. Washington Auto Road, Gorham
- The Flume Gorge, Franconia
- Jackson Falls, Jackson
- Sabbaday Falls, Conway
- Diana’s Baths, Conway
You might also like to check out these posts:
- Summer Essentials: Make your own Beach & Boat Tote
- Where Kids Eat Free in NH
- Plan Your Family Vacation Without Going Broke