Making a Cutting Board Gift is inexpensive and so easy you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before. Your recipient is sure to fall in love with this handmade gift!
DIY Cutting Board GiftThis post has been updated to enhance reader experience.
Table of contents
- DIY Cutting Board Gift
- More Chalkboard Craft Ideas:
- Cutting Board Gift Materials
- How to Make a DIY Cutting Board Gift
- Cutting Board Gift
- More DIY Gift Ideas
I love Christmas and everything that comes with it! I love putting up the tree, decorating the house, hanging the stockings, and burning Christmas scented candles!
Last year we went a bit overboard on the red Christmas decor, so this year we're taming it down a bit and going with a black, green, and white ... and much more simplistic ... color scheme. Today, I'm here sharing one of our newest holiday projects ... Cutting Board Chalkboard Art!
This is a quick and simple project that can really be used year-round ... and customized to any color scheme or decor! It's also relatively inexpensive ... especially if you can find a thrifted cutting board! Ours, however, came new from Target, and can totally still be used on the reverse side as a serving platter (I kinda like it as decor, however).
More Chalkboard Craft Ideas:
Before we get to today's project, I wanted to share with you a couple of other ideas you might also enjoy:
Live Laugh Love Chalkboard Printable
This Live Laugh Love printable reminds us to keep what’s most important at the forefront.
Pick up an inexpensive frame and you have a beautiful gift for friends, neighbors, co-workers or teachers!
Cutting Board Gift Materials
For this project, you just need a couple of supplies. I used:
- A cutting board (check Goodwill or your local thrift store for second-hand cutting boards for super cheap)
- Chalkboard Paint
- Foam Brush
- Painters Tape
- Accessories: we used a small piece of flannel fabric to tie around the handle with a fresh boxwood sprig for some holiday color.
What is the best chalkboard paint?
For this project I would recommend using one of the three paint choices:
- Krylon K05223000 - this is a very quick-drying paint.
- FolkArt - works really well if you're making this project with kids.
- Rust-Oleum 206540 - highly scratch-resistant paint.
How to Make a DIY Cutting Board Gift
Here's how to make your own chalkboard cutting board:
- Tape off a rectangle on the board using painters tape and paint center will Chalkboard paint.
- Allow chalkboard paint to dry completely - at least 2 hours.
- Repeat with another coat and allow that to also dry.
- 'Season' or 'prime' paint by rubbing chalk over the entire surface using the side of your chalk.
- Next, wipe off chalk using a paper towel, then draw/write on your design.
- Add some accessories to the handle for added interest/color
Tips to apply chalkboard paint smoothly
- Paint one thin coat of chalkboard paint with vertical brush strokes and allow to dry 30 minutes.
- For the second coat, paint with horizontal strokes, allow to dry.
- Continue alternating directions until the area is well covered.
How do you season a new chalkboard?
The best way to 'season' your chalkboard is to rub a piece of chalk over the entire surface.
After that, erase the chalk with a paper towel or dry cloth.
Cutting Board Gift
You can proudly display in your kitchen (or mantel, wall, or really anywhere you need a little added decor) or wrap it up to give as a gift!
How long before you can draw on chalkboard paint?
Wait for at least 24-hours before drawing on your new chalkboard surface.
Do you need to seal chalkboard paint?
If you create a drawing you want to preserve, you can follow these steps:
- Hold an aerosol can of hairspray about 10-inches away from the chalkboard surface.
- Spray a thin and even coat of hairspray over the drawing.
- Let the spray dry completely.
I love how it looks ... especially at night illuminated by the Christmas scented upcycled wine bottle candle:
More DIY Gift Ideas
- Homemade Whipped Body Butter
- Cricut Iron-On Glitter Mermaid Shirt
- Beaded Snowflake Ornament
- String Art Gift
- Peppermint Sugar Scrub
- DIY Kissing Ball
Make Your Own Crayons
These DIY crayons make great gifts for classmates and cousins, holiday party favors and are cute stocking stuffers, too!
DIY Flannel Coasters
These flannel coasters make a wonderful present for anyone that loves shabby-chic and farmhouse decor!