Homework is one thing I dread about back to school. This easy homework station - a simple caddy that helps keep supplies organized.
FYI, this contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission when you buy through links on our site, which help support the free content you love here at Juggling Act Mama. Learn more.
Both kids now have homework every night, which neither they nor I enjoy in the least! The last thing I want to do is scramble to find school supplies while the kids grumble about homework and I try to figure out what the heck to make for dinner.
Since we don't have a dedicated homework space in our house, this easy mobile homework station is perfect for keeping things organized.
How Can I Make Homework Easier?
- Establish a routine right away with your kids.
- Help your child find a quiet spot to work.
- Have all your supplies on hand (that's where our mobile Homework Station comes in!)
- Make sure your child understands the assignment before beginning.
Having this tote with pencils, markers, erasers, scissors and more that I can set on the kitchen table for the kids helps a lot. Plus it means they're not carrying their pencil boxes to and from school everyday. It's so simple to put this together... stop by your local Dollar Tree and grab one of these inexpensive shower totes.
When Should You Do Homework?
You know your child best of all, so talk with them and to establish your routine. Allowing your child to help choose when he or she does homework (either immediately after school, before dinner or after dinner), is beneficial.
Just like with chores kids respond better to things they 'have to do' when they feel like they are given a choice in deciding how and when it gets done.
Easy Homework Station Supply Caddy
I got these cups on clearance for 50-cents a piece and use them to hold pencils, markers and colored pencils. The smallest spot is perfect for holding erasers. Tuck in a couple of highlighters, a box of crayons, kid scissors and glue sticks.
You can make this suit your family however you like by adding other things like a ruler, tape, Sharpies, etc. I hope you give this homework caddy a try!
How to Organize a Homework Station
Here are some of the supplies I use in our homework station supply caddy:
- 8 ct. Crayola Broad Line Washable Markers
- Crayola Colored Pencils, 12 Count
- Dixon Ticonderoga Wood-Cased Pencils, 2 HB, Yellow, Box of 12 (3-Pack)
- Staedtler Manual Pencil Sharpener
- Crayola Crayons 24 ct (Pack of 2)
- Sharpie Pocket Highlighters, 12 count
- Paper Mate Pink Pearl Erasers, 3 Count
- Elmer's Glue Sticks, 4 Pack
- Crayola Fine Line Washable Markers, 8 ct
- Stanley Guppy 5-Inch Blunt Tip Kids Scissors, 2 pk
This is ideal for my elementary age children, but you can add anything else you think might be helpful, too. As the kids get older, homework gets a little more difficult, so you might like to add in a ruler, protractor, note cards, calculator, etc.
For help with homework, check out these Top 10 Tips from KidsHealth.org!
More Back to School Ideas
If you like this homework station organization idea, you might also like these back to school posts: