As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for tips on what to take on a cruise with kids? We have all the essentials below to help you figure out what you need to bring.
What to Take on a Cruise with Kids
Packing for any trip with kids is going to be very different than packing for a couple’s getaway. While many cruise ships are floating resorts, there are still several things you will want to make sure to take on a cruise if you’re traveling with little ones.
When making a packing list for your trip, make sure you include the right items! Here are our tips on what to take on a cruise with kids.
Kids get bored very quickly, and if you are spending time on the boat, you may want to consider having some activities to keep your kids entertained. Here are some suggestions:
- Quiet Time Activities: Having some downtime activities that they can do at dinner while waiting for their food to arrive or before bed is a great idea. While each room will have a TV, they usually cycle through the same movies and shows over and over.
- Portable Games or Activities: Portable games are a great way to keep your kids entertained while you’re getting ready for dinner, rainy sea days, or long shore excursion bus rides.
- Beach Toys: You will likely find yourself spending time on the beach at some point. Having beach toys can create a fun beach day without having to pay the upcharge for them on the boat.
Make a LEGO Travel Set
This Boredom Buster solution is perfect for those who are on-the-go. Everyone loves LEGOS but they’re not usually considered Travel Toys. Make your own LEGO travel set for just a few dollars!
Obviously, you will need clothes for your trip, but there are a few specific clothing items that you will want to pack for your trip.
- Formal Outfit: Many cruises have a formal night, so be sure to bring something nicer to wear this night.
- Dressier Clothes: Some cruise ships have strict rules for main dining room attire. This might include no jeans or even no open-toed shoes. Check with your cruise ship for dress policy guidelines and bring some dressier clothes for dinner.
- Spare Clothes: You will need extra clothes, more than you think you need! You may get dirty on a shore excursion or spill something and wish you had a backup pair of clothes!
- Bathing Suit: Pack one or more bathing suits for your kids to wear! Between the onboard pool and beach days, you’ll be glad you have one!
When you’re deciding what to take on a cruise with kids, considering cabin supplies you may need simply cannot be overlooked! While a cruise ship has many things you may need for your trip, there are a few things that those cabins just won’t have. Here are some of my suggestions for what to bring with you to improve your stay in the cabin.
- Lanyards: Your key card is needed to be able to get anywhere and do anything while on your ship. While you can hold onto their cards, you can also put them on a lanyard so your kids can keep track of them.
- Night Light: Cruise ship cabins get very dark, especially at night. Bring your own night light if you have kids who are scared of the dark, or need to see if they get up at night.
No matter what cruise line you are traveling on during your cruise vacation, having these essentials will come in handy!
More Travel Ideas
I hope this list of what to take on a cruise with kids has been helpful! Here are some other travel ideas you might also like: