Turn those boring leftovers into a fabulous new meal with this savory and delicious Turkey Pot Recipe! Cozy and filling this is an easy meal that can be made ahead and even fancy enough for company. Using simple ingredients, turkey pot pie from leftovers will be your favorite meal to make with leftover turkey!
Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
Hey guys it’s Deb stopping by from Bowl Me Over again to share another easy delicious recipe! Since we are just days away from Thanksgiving, I thought my timing would be perfect to share this recipe for Turkey Pot Pie from leftovers! We’re all getting tired of turkey sandwiches by now, right?
I know we are!
I’ve made turkey soup with roasted vegetables and chicken pot pie soup, but I was looking for something new. Ang has a delicious recipe here on Juggling Act Mama that shares her Mom’s recipe for Chicken Pot Pie, so I knew you’d love this recipe too!
If you’ve been by my site, you know I keep things simple, and this recipe is no different! Simple everyday ingredients with some substitutes you can use along the way – love that!
Turkey Pot Pie Leftovers
Ingredients for Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- cooked turkey or chicken
- chicken or turkey stock
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- pie crust
See I bet you have everything you need, right?
How do you make a crust for turkey pot pie?
I have a great homemade piecrust recipe on the blog (you can find the link here) but honestly, I purchase a good quality premade pie crust. They are delicious and it’s a great shortcut!
What vegetables go in a pot pie?
I keep it simple with the basics – onions, carrots and celery, but you can really use any combination of vegetables!
- frozen peas and carrots
- green beans (leftover green bean casserole is terrific!)
- cabbage or brussels sprouts
How do you make a pot pie from scratch?
- Preheat the oven.
- Dice the turkey and vegetables.
- Heat the stock.
- Add the butter and olive oil. Next add the vegetables and seasoning. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour. Cook the flour for about 3 minutes or so until it is golden brown, then whisk in the stock.
- Add in the cooked turkey and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture between two oven-safe bowls.
- Top with a pie crust, cutting slits in the crust. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown.
Turkey Pot Pie from Leftovers
Tips for making Turkey Pot Pie
- cook on a baking sheet lined with foil – makes clean up a breeze!
- fill oven-safe bowls almost to the top
- cut slits in the pie crust to allow the steam to escape
- brushing the pie crust with a beaten egg will make it brown beautifully and glisten!
Can you freeze turkey pot pie?
- Absolutely! Make the filling and assemble the pot pie. Wrap it well and tuck it in the freezer, it will last up to six months!
I hope you really enjoy this recipe and you’re able to transform your leftovers into a fun new meal! If you have the chance, please stop by and visit me on the blog! I specialize in Soups and Stews – easy comfort food is what I live for! 😋 You can get all of my soup making tips and treats here at Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide.
Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 cup diced turkey
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pie crust
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Dice the turkey and set aside. Dice all of the vegetables
Place a stock pot over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil and when hot and bubbly add the vegetables and seasoning - thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Saute for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with flour. Stir and cook the flour for about 3 minutes or so until it is golden brown.
Add the stock slowly, whisking as you go. Cook until thickened 3-5 minutes.
Add in the cooked turkey. Stir to combine and divide between two oven-safe bowls.
Top with pie crust. Cut slits in the pie crust to allow the steam to vent. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
More Fabulous Family Recipes:
from left to right: