Looking for things to do in Dallas with Kids? Dallas is a great city, with plenty to do for families traveling with kids!
This Blog post was written by The Curious Cowgirl, a Texas-based Travel Blogger.
Howdy y’all! Planning a visit to Dallas, or as the locals like to say, “The Big D?”
Before we get to all the fun activities and venues in Dallas that are very kid-friendly, let’s talk geography for a moment. Dallas itself is at the center of what is known as the Metroplex.
There are a dozen smaller cities and municipalities that make up the Dallas Metroplex. So, don’t get confused if the address of some venues is not Dallas-proper. There’s an excellent highway system in the Dallas Metroplex, so visitors will have no trouble getting around!
Table of contents
Indoor Activities for Kids
This may sound obvious, but it’s HOT in Dallas y’all! Beginning in June and continuing through October, the temps will be in the 100 degree range during the day, and not much cooler than the 80’s or even 90’s once the sun goes down. So, if you find yourself looking for things to do in Dallas with kids during this hot time of year, here’s a list of indoor suggestions.
- Frisco Discovery Center: The Frisco Discovery Center houses three fantastic kid-friendly venues, all under one roof! The Sci-Tech Discovery Center has numerous Science-themed activities and learning stations. The National Videogame Museum walks visitors through the history of video games, with amazing displays, stations to play “vintage” games, and even an arcade! TrainTopia is a fantastic display of toy trains and miniature towns. The docents are all toy train collectors, and very knowledgable and friendly. Each venue at the Frisco Discovery Center has separate admission, and you can read more about this fun destination by clicking here. Address: 8004 Dallas Pkwy #200, Frisco, TX 75034
- The Perot Museum of Nature and Science: Opened in 2012, this fantastic museum hosts some of the best and most interactive science exhibits in the Metroplex. Permanent exhibits include The Sports Hall, the Gem and Mineral Hall, and the Expending Universe Hall, just to name a few! There’s also an IMAX Movie Theater, as well as many special exhibits and events. Address: 2201 N Field St, Dallas, TX 75201
- The Dallas World Aquarium: Housed in a repurposed warehouse for rubber goods, this fantastic aquarium attracts visitors from all over the world! Displays include fish and a few mammals from South America, Borneo, South Africa, and Madagascar. Address: 1801 N Griffin St, Dallas, TX 75202
Dallas Area Amusement Parks
All the major Amusement Parks are located in Arlington, which is only 20 miles west from downtown Dallas.
- Six Flags Over Texas: This amusement park boasts Thrill Rides, Family Rides, Live Entertainment, and many other activities! There’s also fun holiday themed activities during Halloween and the Christmas Holidays. Address: 2201 E Road to Six Flags St, Arlington, TX 76010
- Six Flags Over Texas Hurricane Harbor: This Texas-Size water park is fun for kids of all ages! Thrill rides, splash pools, and live entertainment. Bring PLENTY of sun-screen, y’all!!! Address: 1800 E Lamar Blvd, Arlington, TX 76006
Things to Do in Dallas with Kids: Fun for Little Cowpokes
If you are going to visit Dallas, then of course kids will love finding ways to channel their inner Cowboy or Cowgirl! Boots and Hats are highly encouraged, y’all!
- The Ft. Worth Stock Show and Rodeo: While not technically in Dallas, Ft. Worth is just a short 50 miles west of Dallas, and this Stock Show in Rodeo is one of the best in the world. Taking place during January and February, there’s tons of Winter fun for everyone in the whole family! Address: 3400 Burnett Tandy Dr, Fort Worth, TX 76107
- The Mesquite Rodeo: Here’s your Summer opportunity to let out a loud yee-haw! The Mesquite Rodeo runs June-August, and is a super family-friendly event! There’s even Country Music concerts to enjoy in the evenings, after the rodeo events have concluded! Address: 1818 Rodeo Dr, Mesquite, Texas 75149
- Dallas Heritage Village: According to their web site, Dallas Heritage Village is home to the largest and finest collection of 19th century pioneer and Victorian homes and commercial buildings in Texas. These buildings, moved from throughout North Central Texas to Dallas’ first city park, line the tree-shaded 20-acre setting of Dallas Heritage Village. Stroll the grounds and discover what life was like over 100 years ago for ordinary Texans. There’s always plenty of live and interactive demonstrations, as well as numerous activities just for kids! Address: 1515 S Harwood St, Dallas, TX 75215
- The Grapevine Vintage Railroad: What kid does not like trains? The Grapevine Vintage Railroad is a ton of fun, and offers many special themed rides, in addition to their regular schedule! Address: 705 S Main St, Grapevine, TX 76051
Other Fun Things to Do in Dallas with Kids
The Dallas Metroplex clearly has no shortage of super fun things to do with Kids! There are a few more opportunities you need to know about!
- The Dallas Zoo: The Dallas Zoo is a ton of fun, and is a great activity to enjoy with kids! Be advised, part of the Dallas Zoo is pretty darn hilly, so come prepared! Address: 650 S R L Thornton Freeway, Dallas, TX 75203
- The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden: One of the most beautiful places in Dallas, the Dallas Arboretum is a fantastic place to enjoy with kids! There’s a special garden, just for kids, and lots of kid-specific programming! Address: 8525 Garland Rd, Dallas, TX 75218
- The State Fair of Texas: Might be a little biased, but our State Fair is the BEST State Fair! Taking place every September-October, the State Fair of Texas is a fantastic way to soak in all things Texas. Plus….there’s corny dogs!
So, come on to Dallas, y’all! Bring your kids. Have a ball! And, if you’d like recommendations for great places to eat, directly from a born-and-raised Dallasite, click here!
And for other great ideas for traveling with kids, check out Ang’s post, 5 Things to do in Palm Desert with Kids.