I love springtime and it's the perfect time to celebrate those cute crawly critters that kids love so much. I'm showing you how to make this simple dragonfly and caterpillar craft using craft sticks and pom poms, but use your imagination and make any bug you feel like!
Ready to make these cute critters? Don't ya just love dragonflies and caterpillars?
- Large Craft Sticks (like tongue depressors)
- Small Assorted Pom Poms
- Ribbon (4-6 inches in length)
- Clear tape
- Sparkly craft gems or buttons
- Googly Eyes (optional)
As much as possible, use whatever you already have at home. It's a great time to use up scraps of ribbon, buttons, and little craft leftovers. You can find many of these items at the Dollar Store too. Gather a bunch of simple supplies and let your little one be creative!
1. For the DRAGONFLY CRAFT: Fold both ends of the ribbon into the middle and hold it with a piece of clear tape (or glue). Then use tape to attach it to the craft stick about a third of the way down. You may have to help your little one here. My 7 year old was able to do this part herself though, but younger kids may need help.
2. Once the ribbon is secure, dot some glue along the craft stick for the gems and googly eyes. I used Elmer's glue here, but you can use any kind. Then let your child add decorative items to their insect craft. If you want glue on googly eyes and draw smile NOTE: You can also just let your child decorate their dragonfly with markers too.
3. For the CATERPILLAR CRAFT: Simply dot glue along the length of the craft stick and stick the fuzzy pom poms on as shown in the picture. Glue googly eyes onto the front pom pom. This caterpillar insect craft is so easy!
Look how cute these little insects are! What a quick way to spend a little quality time with your child. Make sure you let this craft thoroughly dry before letting the kids play with them.