Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
Italian Meatballs and spinach with carrot come together with al dente pasta in the slow cooker for an easy comfort food meal the whole family will love.
Servings 6 servings
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 oz. package frozen Italian style meatballs (about 55 meatballs)
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups uncooked orzo, pastina or other small pasta
- Parmesan rind
- salt and pepper to taste
Saute the carrots, onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, for about 8-10 minutes, until softened.
In a slow cooker, add all ingredients except the uncooked pasta and mix well.
Cook on low for 7 hours.
Turn off the slow cooker and add your uncooked pasta, stir and let sit for 30 minutes.
Remove bay leaf and whatever is left of the Parmesan rind. Serve the soup topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add in other veggies if you like such as chopped celery, green beans or zucchini
- Instead of spinach (or in addition to it), you can use endive, kale or escarole.
- For a low carb version, use cauliflower rice instead of pasta.
Can you freeze Italian Wedding Soup?
I do not recommend freezing this soup recipe because it has pasta in it, which doesn't hold up well to freezing and thawing.
If you omit the pasta, you can freeze it. First, allow the soup to cool completely and always label it with a name and date. This will last about 4-6 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 670kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 346mg | Potassium: 937mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 8210IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3mg