Check out these Top 5 Must-Have Essential Oils for Families. Lavender, Frankincense, Melaleuca, DigestZen, Breathe are great for families for so many reasons!
Hello! I'm Krysta from KrystaSteen.com and I'm excited to share some of the top essential oils for families! Truth be told, it was hard to just pick 5 must-have essential oils because there are so many other oils that we personally use and love!
One of the many things I love about essential oils is that there are SO many ways to use them! Plus, they are cost effective as well - just pennies per drop. So without further ado, let's get to my picks for the top 5 essential oils for families!
Top 5 Must-Have Essential Oils for Families
10 Uses for Frankincense
- Calm Down. Inhale with Lavender and Peppermint and apply to neck to help calm stress and relieve tension.
- Spread The Love. Frankincense smells wonderful and uplifts the mood. Wear it as a perfume to lift your mood and feelings of alertness.
- Overworked Hands? Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening or working to promote a normal inflammatory response.
- Time To Focus. Apply 1-2 drops to your temples and the back of your neck to help improve your concentration.
- Nails Of Steel. Dry weather can take a toll on your nails. Try applying a drop of Frankincense to strengthen weak fingernails.
- A Calming Mood Lifter. Frankincense can be applied to the bottoms of feet to relax and calm mood swings minor to major. In fact, it has been used to calm expectant mothers during pregnancy and labor. Diffuse in the room or massage a drop onto the chest or back of the neck.
- No More Nerves. Use Frankincense to help relieve anxiety and create a positive mood! Try combining Frankincense, Peppermint and Wild Orange essential oil in your hand, rub hands together, and inhale deeply. This mix will also help with the most severe need for a three o’ clock pick-me-up!
- Relax And Revitalize. Soak in a warm Frankincense bath to calm the nerves or diffuse Frankincense in the bathroom while you relax in the tub.
- Frank To The Rescue. Frankincense has been used for centuries for challenged skin, skin problems and nearly everything related to skin. It’s wonderful for aging skin too! Apply directly to the skin and dab the excess with a cotton ball.
- Muscle & Soreness Relief. Use Frankincense with a cold compress after working out or on a hot day to cool down and relax. Or, use with a hot compress to soothe tired muscles or occasional cramps.
10 Uses for Breathe (Respiratory Blend)
- The ‘On Ramp’ to Sleep. For a more restful sleep during seasonal respiratory discomfort, diffuse Breathe at bedtime or keep in a roll-on bottle by the bedside, in the car or your purse. Roll it on the chest, bottom of feet or upper lip as needed!
- Feel Clear and Free. Put a drop of Breathe and a drop of Wintergreen essential oil in a sink of hot water. Then, place a damp towel over your head and inhale deeply. It’s surprising how much this helps!
- Leavin’ on a Jet Plane, Bus or Train? Confined spaces can sometimes have stagnant air, which can be claustrophobic. While in these spaces, free yourself mentally and emotionally by applying Breathe.
- Stuck in a Desk, Small Office or Cube? It’s easy and convenient to just place a drop of Breathe in your palm, rub the palms together and take a deep breath from your cupped hands. Supporting healthy airways will improve your concentration. It may help everyone around you relax too!
- A College Dorm Room Fix. College dorm rooms aren’t known for their vast size or light airy appeal. When you combine a ‘first-time on their own’ roommate with unknown cooking preferences, sweaty workout clothes, or interesting hygiene habits, Breathe is the great equalizer and your best friend.
- It’s a Zoo in Here! Staying at someone else’s home, with someone else’s pets (with their aroma, dander or musty smell) doesn’t need to be a problem. Try rubbing Breathe on your chest and under your nose before entering a pet filled house. Great for musty campers and RVs as well.
- One Of Mom’s Bag Of Tricks. Place a couple drops on the pillow of any child who needs Breathe but refuses to apply the oil. The oil helps to distract them from whatever reason she can’t sleep, and helps maintain breathing. Oh, and the added benefit is that mom and dad get to rest as well!
- A Dynamic Duo. Keep a roller bottle of Breathe nearby to swipe on the chest and under the nose of whoever is keeping you awake by snoring gone ballistic.
- Help For Your Airways When You Have Cold Feet in the Winter. A popular way to warm your tootsies in the winter is to warm a cloth bag (filled with rice or feed corn kernels) in the microwave and place it at the foot of your bed at night. Add a few drops of Breathe in the bag to make it an aromatically soothing experience as well, opening stuffy airways.
- No Gadgetry Required. Diffusing is great, but when you don’t have a diffuser handy, simply add a drop of both Breathe and Frankincense into the palm off your hand. Then, make a fist with a small opening over the oils and breathe in through your fist. This simple technique does wonders!
10 Uses for Lavender
- Take A Lavender Bath. Drop a bit of lavender essential oil along with Epsom salts to your bath water for an ultra-relaxing experience.
- Quick Fix. Mix three parts Fractionated Coconut Oil with one part Lavender essential oil in a small spray bottle or roll on to help clear up skin irritation associated with chafing. Great for little ones!
- Bring on the ZZZ’s. Rub on the bottoms of the feet for a more restful sleep.
- Enjoy A Fresh And Clean Mattress. Sprinkle a mixture of 1 cup baking soda and 10 drops of lavender essential oil over your mattress. Allow the mixture to sit for at least one hour then use the vacuum hose to clean it up. You can combine with drops of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Clove, or Rosemary as well. Use essential oils for your family and sleep on a fresh mattress.
- Ouch! That’s Hot! The next time someone doesn’t realize the iron or pan is still hot; apply Lavender oil to the affected area to soothe skin irritation, relieve redness and ease swelling.
- A Sleepy Time Trick. A few drops of Lavender placed on a pillow will help a restless toddler (or adult) fall asleep and stay asleep. Every family needs sleeps. Let essential oils for your family be the key to a good nights rest.
- Homemade Aftershave. Use after shaving to soothe and soften skin and to lessen the redness and burning caused by razor burn.
- Take The “Ouch” Out. One drop of Lavender will help relieve the pain and sensitivity of occasional sore gums, dry or chapped lips, occasional scrapes and abrasions, or after too much sun.
- Clear The Mind. Apply Lavender to the temples and back of neck to lessen the effects of stress and anxiety and to promote mental clarity.
- Care For Your Baby Belly. Rub Lavender essential oil onto an itchy tummy while pregnant.
10 Uses for DigestZen (Digestive Blend)
- Tame a Tummy. Rub on your child’s tummy when they have an occasional tummy ache. Apply before bedtime and it will help them sleep soundly too! Dilute 1 drop of DigestZen with fractionated coconut oil and massage onto their tummy when upset.
- Over the River and Through the Woods. Long road trips are good for family bonding. Don’t let those winding roads ruin the experience! Try diffusing DigestZen in the car from time to time to keep everyone’s stomachs calm. A great thing to have on a sailing or fishing boat too!
- A Holiday Helper. After a big holiday feast, massage DigestZen on your stomach after big meals to help digest all holiday fare with ease.
- Turbulence is on the Horizon. Flying to new destinations is fun but turbulence is often a problem for the stomach. When traveling by plane, make sure DigestZen goes with you.
- Kick Tension & Pressure. DigestZen certainly helps calm an upset stomach but can also be applied to the temples to help relieve tension and sinus pressure.
- Kids Won’t Take a Capsule of DigestZen? To get things moving, put a drop of DigestZen in your child’s bath water and support healthy digestion.
- A Great Neutralizer. Use 1-2 drops in 4-6 ounces of water as a mouth rinse with water at night if you’ve eaten a meal with strong smells, like garlic, onion, curries and more. If you like the taste of black licorice, you will love the taste of DigestZen because it contains Fennel essential oils for your family.
- Carefree at the carnival. First a funnel cake and then the teacup ride. Make sure you bring DigestZen along so you can have fun with the rest of the family!
- Take-out? Take DigestZen. This digestive blend will soothe even the strongest kick that your favorite local take-out can deliver.
- Unfamiliar Restaurant Relief. When you travel or venture out to an unfamiliar restaurant, it’s easy to have digestive distress. Prevent discomfort by taking DigestZen in a Veggie Capsule to prevent or lessen the effects of certain foods.
10 Uses for Melaleuca
- Refresh Your Wash. Add a couple drops of Melaleuca to laundry detergent to get rid of any musty smells caused by poor ventilation.
- Homemade Baby Wipes. Cut a paper towel roll in half and place it in a storage container with 2 cups warm water, 2 tablespoons fractionated coconut oil and 3 drops each of Melaleuca and Lavender. When the liquid is absorbed, remove the cardboard roll and pull wipes from the center.
- For When Soap Won’t Do It. Melaleuca is great for removing permanent marker from skin.
- Baby Bottom Remedy. Mix with Fractionated Coconut Oil, Lavender, and Frankincense to make a diaper paste for baby’s irritated skin.
- Too Much Fun In The Sun? Apply to the skin during your family vacation or after a long day in the sun.
- Sleep Feeling Clean. Spray Melaleuca on your mattress pad when you change the sheets.
- Boost Your Immune Function. Diffuse Melaleuca or rub it on the bottom of your feet. Combine with On Guard for even more immune support.
- Chemical-Free Cleaning. Dilute 8-10 drops with water in a spray bottle to clean around the house. It is great to use in damp places and in the bathroom!
- A Young Athlete’s Best Friend. Apply directly to the feet and toenails after practice each night and especially if you are also showering, swimming or exercising in public, high traffic areas.
- Healthy, Happy You. Massage onto the bottoms of feet and the chest area to promote overall health, especially during the winter. For occasional skin irritations, apply Melaleuca directly to the skin or dilute with a drop of fractionated coconut oil.
I hope this gives you some good information on these must-have essential oils. We use them every day in our house!
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com says
Krysta and Ang, thanks for the tips on essential oils. I keep a few on hand at all times, but I definitely haven't begun to use them to the full.
Ang Paris says
I like having a variety on hand for whatever crops up. You'll find you use them more often than you think!
I had no idea that the DigestZen could be used as a neutralizer, that's so cool! Great list of the must have essential oils for families. I especially love the doTerra Breathe.
Thank you for linking up with us at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope you will join us again on Friday.
Ang Paris says
doTERRA Breathe is one of my favorites too!