If you want a small bread for gifting or just eating, try my lemon zucchini bread.
This recipe for lemon zucchini bread is one of my favorite go-to recipes of all time. Give it a try and you'll love it, too!
Last weekend was one of my most productive in the kitchen all summer. With all the family functions we've been going to up in Maine, we haven't been home much. Mr. Juggling Act took one look in the stand-up freezer and declared that it was nearly empty. (He sounded a little panicked). Mind you I wasn't surprised - in the last 9 weeks, we've spent 6 weekends (some of them three-day weekends!) in Maine.
It's been hectic I tell you.
But when I get the urge (and the time) to start filling my freezer, the first thing I think of actually isn't a casserole, but a quick bread. You've heard me wax poetic dozens of times about how much I love these breads for breakfast, snack and even dessert, and they freeze beautifully. So last weekend I decided to try my hand at some zucchini bread flavored with lemon.
So good, people, so good! You're going to want to make this - trust me!
Can I make them full-sized?
How long will the lemon zucchini bread stay good in the freezer?
Lemon Zucchini Bread Shopping List
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1-2 zucchini)
Items You May Also Need
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- Food Processor
- Rubber Spatula
- Wire Whisk
- Mini Loaf Pans
- Small Freezer Bags
- Lemon Zester
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Here's how to make mini lemon zucchini bread - perfect for freezing for later.
Lemon Zucchini Bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the Bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup grated zucchini
For the Lemon Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
For the Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Grease and flour three mini bread pans and set aside.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the applesauce and oil. Add the sugar and mix well. Next add the buttermilk, lemon juice, and zest. Lastly, fold in the grated zucchini (by the way, you don't need to peel your zucchini first, just wash and grate!)
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans until a test comes out clean - about 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
For the Icing:
- Whisk together the ingredients until the icing is combined, but not thin. Add more sugar or lemon juice as needed.
- Once the bread is completely cooled, pour the lemon glaze over the bread and wait for it to set up - about an hour, before cutting.
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
Other Flavors of Icing
If you aren't a fan of lemon, that's ok! Not everyone loves that tartness in their sweet breads. These taste amazing without any icing at all. Or, if you do want to try an icing on them, just do a plain buttercream. Instead of lemon juice, use butter.
Another idea that will taste perfect is a cream cheese frosting.
This lemon zucchini bread is perfect for brunch. It is beautiful and a very light bread with a vibrant flavor.
You can pair it with a quiche or your favorite breakfast drink. I love the fresh flavor of orange smoothies with it.
Mini Zucchini Bread - Perfect Gift Idea
These make a really thoughtful and delicious gift idea. Wrap them in cellophane with a beautiful ribbon. You can also print the recipe and attach it to the loaf of bread.
If you liked my lemon zucchini bread, you'll love these:
From left to right:
Try these brunch classics
These are some of my favorite brunch recipes from amazing food blogs I follow.
- Pineapple Upside Down Monkey Bread - Wonky Wonderful - This is a super sticky bread that you will love digging your fork into.
- Pumpkin Spice Pull-Apart Bread - A Day in Candi Land - All the flavors of fall combine in a perfect bread that everyone at brunch will adore.
- Coconut Macadamia Banana Bread - Garlic & Zest - The toasted macadamia nuts on top of the bread make this a beautiful bread to share at brunch.