As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Shower Steamer – We’ll show you how to make shower steamers scented with relaxing rose and ylang ylang essential oils with our shower steamer recipe in this DIY tutorial.
Materials for Homemade Shower Steamers:
This ‘recipe’ makes 9 shower steamers.
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup Epsom salts
- 100 drops rose essential oil – this essential oil may help to relieve stress and tension and may also have positive effects for those who suffer from anxiety and/or depression.
- 60 drops ylang-ylang essential oil – this oil may help to reduce depression, alleviate anxiety, and boost moods. It may also help lower blood pressure and heart rate.
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp water (do not add all at once – see step 4 for more info)
- 15-Hole Cylinder Silicone Mold https://amzn.to/2LLHy0a
- crushed rose petals – in this homemade shower steamer recipe, we used dried rose petals, but these are truly optional. You can purchase dried roses online. I think that the dried flowers make your steamers look extra special!
How to Make Shower Steamers
- Combine the baking soda and Epsom salts in a small bowl and until completely combined.
- As you stir, add in the rose essential oil.
- Repeat the process with the ylang ylang essential oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and stir well. If the texture seems pasty and will hold form you’re ready to move on. If not, add the other ½ tablespoon of water, then stir.
- Place a few rose petals into 9 of the mold cavities.
- Fill the mold with your mixture and pat it down.
- Let them set up for 24-48 hours.
- Carefully remove from mold To store, place in an airtight container in a dry place.
How to Use Shower Steamers
To use your homemade shower steamers, turn on your hot water for a shower. Then, put 1-2 steamers on the floor of the tub/shower furthest from the falling water. This will allow the essential oils to start releasing. If you place them directly under the water, they will dissolve very quickly.
More DIY Beauty Ideas
It is really so easy to make your own homemade bath and beauty products. Here are a few of our reader’s favorites: