Cinnamon, citrus, and cloves are just some of those wonderful spices is this aromatic Homemade Mulling Spice Mix.
Not only is this a great mulling spice for hot cider, but it also makes a great potpourri to simmer slowly on the back of your stove during this festive time of year.
To make a ½ a gallon of Hot Cider, I recommend 2 tablespoons of the mulling spice. Add the spices to a large loose tea leaf strainer or tie them in a cheese cloth. Allow the spices to soak for a good 30 minutes, while the cider simmers on low.
For entertaining, place the mulling spices and cider into a slow cooker and let steep for a half hour before first serving. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and other spices as desired.
Homemade Mulling Spice Mix
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Resealable bag
- Air-tight container
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- ½ bottle whole cardamom seeds
- 5 whole nutmeg
- .75 oz whole allspice 1 jar
- .75 oz whole clove 1 jar
- star anise 5 or 6
- dried peel of 2 tangerines or 1 orange
- Peel the citrus and scrape off as much as you can of the white bitter part. I use a sharp knife and hold it at the very tip to scrape everything off easier. Once that’s done, slice the peel into thin strips and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in a preheated oven to 275-degrees for around 30 to 40 minutes. Once cooled they should be very dry and break easily.
- In a resealable bag add the cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cardamom. Cover it with a kitchen towel and give it several good whacks with a rolling pin or mallet. You want to break down the spices a bit.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the crushed spices and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To steep, use your tea infuser, muslin sachets or just cheese cloths.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
I made this for a few of my friends for the holidays. Thanks for the cute gift idea!