I’ve been on such a granola bar kick lately that I’ve wondered why on Earth I waited so long to make my own…
How do you make homemade granola crunchy?
To make crunchy granola, you have to bake it for about 50 minutes at 300-degrees F. Be sure to store your granola in an airtight container.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- quick cooking oats
- crispy rice cereal
- wheat germ
- Barlean’s Flax-Chia-Coconut Blend
- chopped walnuts
- brown sugar
- vegetable oil
From the pantry: vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon
Items you may also need:
- rimmed baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups and spoons
- spoonulaFarberware copper skillet
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $18.89Was: $20.40
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How do you toast coconut?
There are two ways to toast coconut. One method is to put the coconut into a skillet over medium heat stirring often. Cook it until the coconut starts to turn golden brown. If you want to make a larger batch, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the coconut out. Bake at 300-degrees F until the coconut is toasted. Always watch carefully because coconut can go from perfectly toasted to burnt in a moment!
How can I make this recipe more healthy?
To make this homemade granola recipe more healthy, simply replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil instead. For a less sweet granola, you can reduce the brown sugar by half.
Homemade Granola Recipe
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 Barlean’s Flax-Chia-Coconut Blend
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 300-degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Heat a skillet over medium heat and toast the coconut stirring often. Add the coconut to a large bowl.
- Add the walnut to the skillet also over medium heat to toast. When you start to smell their nuttiness, they're done.
- To the bowl, add the oats, rice cereal, wheat germ, Barlean’s Flax-Chia-Coconut Blend, walnuts, cinnamon and salt and mix well.
- In a second bowl, mix together the oil, honey, water and vanilla.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then turn out onto the prepared parchment paper in a thin layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until golden brown. If you want to add dried fruit, add it in the last ten minutes of cooking.
- Store in an airtight container once completely cooled.
Why do you toast the walnuts and coconut?
Toasting the walnuts and flaked coconut helps to bring out their flavors. While it’s not mandatory, it adds a rich nuttiness to this homemade granola recipe.
- Instead of walnuts, try other nuts such as cashews, pecans, or almonds.
- After baking, add dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, apricots, or blueberries.