These DIY Hand Warmers for Kids make fabulous stocking stuffers, gifts for Valentine’s Day, or just because!
Here in New England, it’s been pretty chilly. Our DIY hand warmers are great for your children’s pockets while they wait for the bus, or to help warm up their hands when they come in from playing outside. They make a great gift and definately say “I Love You!” It’s a good novice project for kids, but even if they can’t sew, they can still help make these! If your children are old enough to handle scissors, have them cut out the pattern, fabric shapes and printable cards. They can also help fill the finished hand warmers with rice.
Amazon Disclosure: This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. All opinions are my own, but I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too! This does not increase the cost to you, but does help support Juggling Act Mama. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
DIY Hand Warmers Instructions
Here’s how to make the DIY Hand Warmers:
Two pieces of felt or flannel approximately 12×12-inches, cut unto 4 equal squares
Marker + Scissors
Needle and Threat
Uncooked Rice + funnel
Essential Oil (optional)
Clear Resealable Cellophane Bags (optional)
- Draw a simple shape on a piece of cardstock to use as your pattern. Hearts and stars work very well. Using the pattern, cut two pieces out of fabric. We used purple felt, but flannel would also be a good choice.
- Place the right sides of fabric together and sew around the shape leaving 1/4″ edge. Leave a 1.5″ gap unsewn so you’ll be able to fill your shape with rice, which holds the heat.
- Turn your shape back right side out.
- Using a funnel, fill your hand warmers with uncooked rice. If desired, add 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil. I love Wild Orange Essential Oil personally.
- Pin the opening so it looks good and stays closed, then using a needle and thread, sew the opening shut.
- Download the free printable here, and print on white cardstock. Cut apart the cards.
- Place one card and a hand warmer in a clear bag or use the card as a tag and tie it around the hand warmer. These Clear Resealable Cellophane Bags are my favorite because they are very sturdy and I think they make your gift look more professional.
We hope you enjoy making your own DIY Hand Warmers! Be sure to tag us on Instagram at @jugglingactmama if you do. We LOVE seeing your Juggling Act Mama inspired crafts and recipes!
New More Boredom Buster Ideas for Kids?