As a long-time fan of Nicholas Sparks, I’m excited about this opportunity to share my recipe for Chicken and Dumplings inspired by The Choice with you. It may not seem like a romantic dinner choice, but I think a date night should be comfortable, not fussy. #TheChoiceMovie
Have you read The Choice by Nicholas Sparks? Well it’s now a movie coming into theaters on February 5th. It is about making difficult choices of the heart to find your destiny and perfect match in love. The main characters, Travis and Gabby, have to #ChooseLove to be together. It’s a great love story just in time for Valentine’s Day.
I’m a sucker for Nicholas Sparks books. Perhaps it’s because I’m a strong proponent of following your heart in love and life. His books are all about living in the moment, and seemingly always about choosing love. Of course, it doesn’t have to be romantic love, it can be the love of your children, or your work. Or chicken and dumplings. No really, wait until you try this recipe!
Savoring time together, like Travis and Gabby do, is the best way to show you love someone. This one pot meal is easy to put together so you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing it. At the end of a long day, and with the kids hustled off to bed, it’s nice to unwind with an uncomplicated evening with your significant other. And let’s face it, is there a better comfort food than Chicken and Dumplings?
One Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 3 celery ribs, diced small
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 (10-3/4 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 8 refrigerator biscuits, cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a 4 quart dutch oven and cook the onion and celery until soft over medium high heat Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned.
- Add the chicken stock, carrots, soup, and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer.
- Add the bite-sized pieces of biscuits into the pot one at a time. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally so the dumplings don't stick to one another.
- Serve hot with a nice glass of white wine!
This dish is so flavorful! Spending time in the kitchen together is a great way to reconnect with one another. I hope you’ll get a chance to make this soon! Send the kids off to the grandparent’s or a friend, and enjoy a little one-on-one time with this delicious comfort food meal!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.